Growing Animals (under 6 months): Unlimited amounts, plus free choice grass hay.(Timothy, Bermuda Grass)
Mature Animals(12 months and above): Occasional small amounts.
Nursing Females: Unlimited amounts in addition to free choice grass hay.(Timothy, Bermuda Grass)
Alfalfa Hay should only be offered carefully to mature rabbits, guinea pigs, chinchillas and other small animals due to the higher protein and calcium content.
- Alfalfa Hay can be used to help animals gain weight and will give a nice shine to their fur.
- Elderly animals should be fed foods they enjoy, such as alfalfa, when considering quality of life.
- Alfalfa Hay can be used in small amounts as an appetite stimulant for thin or convalescing animals.
- Rabbits, guinea pigs and chinchillas under six months of age can be given Alfalfa Hay daily.
- After six months of age an animal should begin a gradual transition to 100% grass hay such as Sun Cured Timothy Hay, Bermuda Grass.
How much do I feed daily?
Alfalfa Hay can be fed daily to growing animals as 50% of their total dietary intake. Adult animals should be limited to a small pinch as a treat.